Congratulations to our own Wallingford Rotarian and Shrewsbury resident Randell Barclay on his recent Paul Harris Fellow award! The award is given to Rotarians when there is a total of $1,000 donated by them or in their name to the Rotary Foundation. Randell has succeeded in reaching this goal and we are very proud to have him awarded this distinct honor.
Randell joins the ranks of some pretty notable public figures that are also Paul Harris Fellow Award recipients such as U.S. President Jimmy Carter, Russian President Boris Yeltsin, U.S. astronaut James Lovell, UN Secretary-General Javier Perez de Cuellar, and Jonas Salk.
A gift of US $1,000 enables The Rotary Foundation to fund projects and programs which improve and invigorate the lives of people around the world and enhance international friendship and understanding. Here are just some small examples of what The Rotary Foundation can do with US$1,000:
- Purchase mattresses, pillows, and blankets for 100 homeless children in an orphanage in Bangladesh;
- Establish 10 small sewing businesses to provide severely poor mothers in low-income districts of Caborca, Mexico with the ability to lead self-sufficient lives and contribute to their community;
- Contribute carpentry tools to a vocational training workshop for 300 deaf youths in The Gambia;
- Provide artificial limbs for 25 disabled persons in Calcutta, India;
- Establish a tree in Jamaica that will annually produce 5,000 tree seedlings and increase family income for 700 farmers;
- Provide materials and training in beekeeping to 40 young people in Mali;
- Furnish all materials necessary for construction of a deep borewell in India which supplies clean drinking water to more than 300 people;
- Purchase a cow for a war-widow in Uganda, where Civil War has shattered the economy and children have died because of lack of protein and calcium in their diets.
If you are interested in learning more about the Rotary Foundation or joining the Wallingford Rotary they meet Monday mornings at 7 a.m. for breakfast or the last Monday of the month at 5:30 p.m. for a dinner meeting at the Little Red Schoolhouse located at 96 Main Street, Wallingford, VT. For more information please email email@example.com or call 802-779-0457.